Today marks my first full workweek in my late-twenties. LATE TWENTIES. I’m less concerned about the fact that I’m now that much closer to 30 and more concerned about the fact that I still don’t feel like an adult. Like, ever. Conveniently, I heard a list of items that every man should own on the radio this week. Which inspired me to think about the female counterpart. And that was the last bit of motivation that I needed to make a few goals to feel more grown up.
To preface this, I’ll give you a number. 27. [late twenties]. So close to 30. If you don’t know, I’m currently a PhD candidate, hoping, wishing, and praying to graduate this May. I’ll start a new job as an Assistant Professor in August. On paper, it looks like I’ve got my shhhhh together. But to be 100% honest with you, I do not feel like a college professor.
I show up to work every day in jeans, a cardigan, and boots. With my hair clipped into a twist. Wearing only mascara and blush for make-up. Not to mention that my glasses are neon green on the inside. So, even though I feel confident and “well-enough-put-together”, I’m not sure that’s the vibe I’m giving off.
In an effort to look and act my age and rank, here are a few goals that I would like to accomplish before May.
[Dear Internet – please, please, please hold me accountable.]
- Find a lipstick that I love that flatters me. And actually wear it.
- Make an effort to use eye shadows and liners on weekdays (I swear I use them on the weekends!)
- Wake up a little bit earlier on weekdays and do something with my hair other than the goofy french twist I’m always sporting (Again, I swear I do this at least once per week already!)
- Find a signature perfume
- Buy a black or navy blue blazer
- Expand my wardrobe to be a bit more professional and a bit less boring (e.g. pants that make me feel awesome, new sweaters and cardigans, etc.)
- Start to build my jewelry/accessory collection
There are a few things that I am happy with so far, which include:
- A pair of perfect black heels appropriate for work
- A pair of perfect nude heels appropriate for work
- A pretty self-manicure/generally pretty fingernails
- SELF CONFIDENCE
What are your essentials for feeling like an adult?
How the heck do I find a lipstick that I love?